In Prep, children will
- Constructing using blocks, collage and manipulative equipment to develop early mathematical concepts and skills.
- Initiating and participating in dramatic play to build an understanding of the world around them.
- Drawing and painting to encourage oral language, reading and writing skills.
- Writing stories and copying signs as part of their play, constructions and art.
- Playing and investigating independently, in pairs, small groups and as a whole class.
- Actively making choices about what and how they learn.
- Investigating and learning how to inquire about topics of interest.
- Planning collaboratively with the teacher using a plan-do-reflect model.
- Participating in music and language experiences.
experiences will help children to:
- Understand and use language to group, sort and describe objects and to communicate ideas, feelings and needs.
- Develop early literacy and numeracy skills.
- Become independent thinkers and problem solvers.
- Learn how to cooperate with others, and make good choices.
- Develop physical coordination skills.
- Listen, respond to and give directions.
- Become confident at taking risks in their learning.
View the School Age Ready Reckoner to find out when your child is eligible to enrol in the Prep year.